Import of motor vehicles under “Transfer of Residence”
Import of ONE used vehicle (car or motor cycle) is allowed to an individual who is coming to India on Permanent Settlement.
The import shall be subject to the following conditions:
- The importer must be coming to India for permanent settlement after two years continuous stay abroad.
- The car/motorcycle/vehicle (Jeep/SUV etc) must have in the importers possession or ownership for more than 1 year prior to import.
- The motor car must have right hand steering & controls.
- The importer must file a bond with customs that the vehicle will not be sold for a period of two years from the date of import.
The following documents and information is required for the clearance of such vehicles imported to India:
- Original manufacturers invoice / value evidence / price list
- Original passport
- Residence proof (property papers, rent receipt, electric bill etc)
- Original bill of lading
- Vehicle catalogue/brochure/write up/owners manual etc
- Keys of the vehicle (incl remote alarm activator/deactivator)
- Physical location of engine number on the vehicle
- Physical location of chassis number on the vehicle
- List of standard accessories available with the vehicle
- List of optional accessories imported with the vehicle
- Evidence of the actual freight paid.
- Insurance policy / certificate
- Authorization letter in favour of clearing agents
- Signatures on import declaration forms
Import Duties Applicable:
Used Cars / Bike: Approx 167% of custom assessed value
New Cars / Bike : Approx 108% of custom assessed value
Important advice: At the time of shipping the vehicle, please request the shipping companies to allow maximum free time for the container. Normal free time is only 5 days after arrival. Generally shipping companies do consider extending the free time to 10/14/21/30 days.
Disclaimer: Although Ship2India.com has tried to make the above information as accurate as possible, Ship2India.com accepts no responsibility for any loss or inconvenience sustained by any person resulting from information given above. Ship2India.com encourages you to verify any critical information with the relevant authorities before you book the consignment.