CHALLENGES OF MOVING A PET TO INDIA AND DEALING WITH THE PET MOVE
The below information is only given as a guide to enable you to understand the challenges of pet moving in India and how to prepare yourself adequately. Despite these challenges many pets are cleared every day through various airports in India.
- Indian Airports do not have separate facility for holding pets. All pets are kept in common cargo-handling area, which can be very humid and hot. Please ensure there is adequate water for pets.
- Till the pet is actually cleared through customs, a clearing agent might not have access to the pet, since pet will be kept in a bonded area. The ownership of pets during such time will be that of the port handling authority and airline.
- Since there are no dedicated customs officers for handling pets, there could be delays of many hours before a pet is cleared. This can be understandably very tiring and frustrating for both pet and the owner. To avoid additional delays please complete documentation well in advance and avoid last minute rushes.
- Most Airlines in India do not have adequately trained staff at airports to handle pets in India.
- In the event of delays at customs clearance, please be patient and friendly with the concerned examining officers. Sharing a light word or two goes a long way in cutting delays.
- Curious airport porters trying to play / tease the pets are unfortunately common in Indian Airports. In the event of this happening you can request them not to disturb the pet.